Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend!

Aren't long weekends supposed to be relaxing?  I admit that I've had a blast, but as usual, I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation.  Back to "laboring" tomorrow, but at least it will be a short week, as I am off to spend time with my family in Rhode Island for another long weekend coming up in just a few days.

On Thursday, I had the pleasure of meeting another one of my StumbleUpon friends, Dana.  Dana is a big college football fan and went to college in Montana.  Montana played University of Tennessee yesterday, and we had arranged for him to come visit us for the game and the long weekend almost a year ago.  Montana was definitely the Underdog, and I am not really a big sports fan, but I am definitely a big fan of festivities of any type!   So, we were more than happy to host him here, and I'd even decided to throw a Toga Party in his honor.  Why the Hell not?  :)

I'd met Dana on StumbleUpon about 5 years ago, after he had made an amazing post about an abandoned house he'd found near his property, just North of Seattle, Washington.  The previous owner had chronicled his life by writing on the walls of the home, which was slated for destruction within weeks.  Dana had taken photos of the writing and posted them on his blog, with a touching narrative.  It was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen online, and since that time we have been friends.  That, and also his journaling about his wife Jenny's struggles with bone cancer while raising their 2 young, gorgeous children, made me want to be his friend for life.







I picked Dana up on Thursday afternoon at BNA Airport, and liked him immediately.  Tall and thin, with a boyish grin and a quick laugh, he was charming and funny, without an ounce of awkwardness that sometimes comes with meeting someone from The Internets.  He was immediately relaxed and familiar.  Dana is an account executive for LabCorp, a competitive cyclist, and extremely young looking for 43 years old.  He shares the exact birthday with my ex-husband, who is an all around good guy.  Dana fit right in with my friends.  He updated me on the story of that house.  It has indeed been torn down, but he went through legal documents, found the previous owner's name and address, and mailed him a nice letter, telling him that over 5000 people had seen the notes he'd written on the walls via his blog, and that his stories have not been forgotten.  He is That Kind of Guy.








Friday night was our Labor Day toga party.  I'm not sure exactly how many people attended, but I'll guess and say 60?  Most of them were sporting togas, many were drunk, some swam in their sheets, and I am pretty sure everyone had fun.  I did, anyways.  If you came, thanks for attending.  If you didn't, you missed a good time, and you should come to the next shindig.  My toga consisted of some old gold lame curtains I'd found at Goodwill that day, for $1.99.  The belt was made of the "toga" I'd bought on eBay.  It looked like it would possibly only fit a small 5 year old.  It made a cute belt, though.  Here I am with my cool Sun Medical coworkers:





The only unfortunate part of the entire weekend was a misunderstanding I had with my friend B, who was supposed to visit from Pennsylvania.  B was supposed to drive, but decided at the last minute to fly.  The flight on Friday night was delayed, he missed his connection and was stranded overnight in NYC.  By the time he arrived in Nashville the next morning, he was overtired, cranky and misunderstood that we had to leave IMMEDIATELY to make the game on time.  He insisted that he had to sleep, and went to his hotel instead of to my house like I'd asked.  Also, as he did not drive, we did not have enough room in my car for 6 people.  On top of everything else, his flight home was leaving at 6am the next day, so we would have been unable to get him to the airport ( a 3.5 hour drive plus a time zone change away), as we had all planned to spend the next day there as well.  So unfortunately, we missed seeing him.  He was not happy about this, to put it mildly.  The only other choice I had was to have EVERYONE miss the game, and I could not do that to Dana, whose sole reason for coming to Nashville was to go to Knoxville and attend the game.  So, B is very upset, has made some wild threats, and hopefully will eventually calm down.  I have not let it ruin my weekend.

Today was finally a day to relax, enjoy a rainstorm, and regroup before returning to work for a few days this week.  I am so blessed to have a group of marvelous friends, and I thank all of you who helped to make it a fun weekend.  <3









3 comments:

  1. I never insisted I had to sleep, and crazy threats were emailed to me, all I said was that was libel
    have a good life but don't twist the facts

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me out to be soem diva when I scrounged, pleaded and worked to get down there to see you guys, it broke my heart I felt like such a fool to think these same friends I love so much would do this, then there is all this subterfuge with each other, blech, too much, I have no hard feelings, am wiser for the wear

    ReplyDelete